Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Maine Coon Cat (Straight Dope Mailbag)
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board ^ | 29-Jun-1999 | SDSTAFF Jill

Posted on 08/05/2004 11:19:14 PM PDT by SunkenCiv

One of the oldest breeds of cats in North America is the Maine Coon Cat, and some say 40% of the originals had extra toes. One article said it evolved as a "snowshoe foot" to help these cats walk in the snow. Cute story, but probably [expletive deleted] ...The breed closest to the Maine Coon Cat is the Norwegian Forest Cat which evolved in the same climate and lends credence to one theory that ancestors of the Coon Cat may have even come to the New World onboard Viking ships. I like that theory best.

(Excerpt) Read more at straightdope.com ...

TOPICS: Books/Literature; Reference; Religion; Science; Weird Stuff
KEYWORDS: archaeology; cats; ggg; godsgravesglyphs; history; maine; pets; pixiebob; vikings; vinland
Please FREEPMAIL me if you want on or off the "Gods, Graves, Glyphs" PING list --
Archaeology/Anthropology/Ancient Cultures/Artifacts/Antiquities, etc.
The GGG Digest
-- Gods, Graves, Glyphs (alpha order)

1 posted on 08/05/2004 11:19:14 PM PDT by SunkenCiv
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: blam; FairOpinion; farmfriend; StayAt HomeMother; Ernest_at_the_Beach
I thought I had a file about this, wound up finding the "Straight Dope" take on it.
Please FREEPMAIL me if you want on or off the "Gods, Graves, Glyphs" PING list --
Archaeology/Anthropology/Ancient Cultures/Artifacts/Antiquities, etc.
The GGG Digest
-- Gods, Graves, Glyphs (alpha order)

2 posted on 08/05/2004 11:20:13 PM PDT by SunkenCiv (Unlike some people, I have a profile. Okay, maybe it's a little large...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: SunkenCiv
The Straight Dope Science Advisory Board.....hadn't heard of them before!!!!

And extra toes for snow sshoes.... ok!
3 posted on 08/05/2004 11:28:39 PM PDT by Ernest_at_the_Beach
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Ernest_at_the_Beach
That article also mentions the Pixie-Bob, which is a cross between what we call the Bobcat around here (the Lynx; the Canadian Lynx is the long-legged version, genetically compatible with the American Lynx, of which the Pixie Bob sprang) and any old housecat. Someone living in the building where I work was "walking" one of these (not a Maine Coon Cat, a Pixie-Bob), had it on a leash anyway, and it was easily identifiable due to its feet. :'D
4 posted on 08/05/2004 11:36:45 PM PDT by SunkenCiv (Unlike some people, I have a profile. Okay, maybe it's a little large...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Just updating the GGG information, not sending a general distribution.

To all -- please ping me to other topics which are appropriate for the GGG list. Thanks.
Please FREEPMAIL me if you want on or off the
"Gods, Graves, Glyphs" PING list or GGG weekly digest
-- Archaeology/Anthropology/Ancient Cultures/Artifacts/Antiquities, etc.
Gods, Graves, Glyphs (alpha order)

5 posted on 11/30/2005 11:18:50 AM PST by SunkenCiv (Down with Dhimmicrats! I last updated my FR profile on Wednesday, November 2, 2005.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson